Tuesday, July 28, 2009

7 ideas for engaging training

Last week I mentioned how important it is to make staff training connect to real life experiences. I even used a slightly off-color story as an illustration. Ah, now you remember!

This week I want to share with you some ideas for making your training meetings fun and participatory. Blending these kinds of small group training experiences with your online training system will not only help you build a stronger team of folks who work together well and enjoy it, too, but it will also help staff connect the ideas they’re learning to real life.

The following ideas come from individuals who recently participated in the online forum for the CEU course we offer through EasyCEU.com titled Become the World’s Most Effective Trainer.

From Kayleen in Downey, ID:
  1. One time I split the staff up into teams and timed to see how fast they could make a bed (the correct way).

  2. Another time to get the point over how a resident can feel when they are losing their sight, I had a pair of glasses with Vaseline smeared on the glass. This made things blurry for the staff to see.

  3. To make a point on how difficult it is for a resident with arthritis to pick up an item, I had staff put on large winter gloves and try to pick up a penny.

  4. Another activity I did to make a fun staff training is I had a treasure hunt. I broke the staff up into teams of 2 and they had to follow the clues. The clues ended up leading them back to the staff training room where there was a box with treats. I continued with the main points of training to follow up.

The idea is to get the attention of the group, make it fun, and get the point across what you are teaching.

From Mary in San Juan Capistrano, CA:

I like to have my caregivers teach each other in areas that they are particularly strong. I encourage them to ask many questions! Sometimes the caregivers have some really great ideas that work for them and this makes them feel good to share these experiences.

From Susan in Eureka, CA:

I like to use modeling and role playing. I especially like to have each person pair up with a partner and take turns being the resident and the caregiver. Then follow up with how each felt about giving and receiving care.

From Cynthia (address unknown):

As the administrator, I have always done the abuse/neglect inservices myself. I believe that the staff needs to hear the message directly from me. I have a large "Bugs Bunny" toy and have done sessions using "Bugs" as the focus. Everyone, no matter what position in the facility, can relate to character. We have done everything from introducing "Bugs" as a new resident and taught all staff to assess what the new resident needs (everyone knows Bugs likes carrots) to "How to investigate a fur tear." The prop allows for visual keys in addition to a humorous commonality that fosters participation from all levels of staff.

Hope these give you some ideas to bring a little life into your training programs, too. Building an atmosphere as a place where professional learning and growth is valued means tapping into your creative side, too!

Share your ideas for making training fun – click here to respond

No comments: