Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Enhancing Customer Service in Senior Care

Here’s the title of a chapter in an intriguing book called “Yes! 50 Scientifically Proved Ways to be Persuasive

“What tips should we take from those who get them?”

It took me a second to get the question, but when I did, I started thinking, “What makes me want to tip a waiter more than usual?”

I’m not a bad tipper, but I have to admit sometimes the process of tipping annoys me. It particularly annoys me when I feel like I’ve overpaid for something, and the service staff is still standing there with their hand out waiting for more money.

But then there are those moments when I feel like I’ve made a new friend. When I tip joyfully, because I truly enjoyed the service provided.

It doesn’t happen all that often, but when it does, it’s memorable. In fact, it’s probably memorable because it doesn’t happen that often.

So I thought I’d google “How to earn big tips,” and see what the pros had to say about this. This is fun: I’m finding lots of ideas that readily translate into our mission: provide excellent customer service. Here’s an example of a fun, almost-tongue-in-cheek article, with some great advice about customer service in general. My comments are in the [brackets]:

Earn Better Tips: Simple Tricks to Getting Bigger Tips, by Melissa Dylan

Excellent service is a good place to start if you're an employee who earns tips [or an employee who just wants to provide outstanding customer service]. A few simple tricks will put you over the edge from average tips to enormous tips.

Introduce yourself by name. Bonus points if your name is something cutesy or perky. If your name is not cutesy or perky, change it. While you’re at it… Be cutesy and perky. Chat with guests. Pretend you’re interested in them. Create inside jokes. If this is not part of your personality and you are not willing to fake it, you are in the wrong profession. [Be yourself. Your clients will love you for it, even if you’re not cutesy and perky.]

Sign the check. If you’re a female, include a doodle like a smiley face or flower. Vomit in the back room out of disgust beforehand if necessary, but keep all appearances of perkiness and charm in front of the guests. (Note: if you are a male, doodles on the check will actually lower your tip, so be careful. And masculine.) Include the words “Thank you” as if the guest has done you a gigantic honor by dining at your table. [Write your name on a slip of paper – it will accomplish the same thing. It says, “I want you to remember my name because we’re friends now, and I can help you.” Include a phone number or email address if it is appropriate for clients to contact you directly.]

Touch people. No, not there. Pervert. A friendly hand placed on the arm or shoulder sometime during service adds a touch of camaraderie that makes patrons think “I’d better give her some money!” [Touch, appropriately, is a tremendously affective way we communicate. Shake hands, if you’re not the “touchy-feeling” kind of person.]

Squat. Next to the table, anytime you’re talking to them. You’ll feel ridiculous the first several times, like you’re about to crawl under the table, particularly if you’re already pretty short. But it works, because as it turns out, people like you better when they can’t see up your nose while they’re eating. Who knew? [Works in our business, too. Never stand up while talking to someone seated. Get on their level. Every time.]

Repeat their order. Shows them you’re listening, and helps to fix mix-ups before they occur. (How many times has a customer asked for the chef salad, only to insist later that they’d asked for the Caesar salad?) Also, write it down. Some waiters like to show off their impressive brain-power by clasping their hands behind their backs and committing the order to memory, but frankly: 1.) your customers don’t care how smart you are, they just want you to get their order right, 2.) it drives me bat-poo crazy when a waiter does that and then gets my order wrong anyway, which has happened more times than I can count. I’m much more willing to forgive (and tip) someone who writes it down just in case than someone with misplaced arrogance about their mental abilities. [Can you relate? I can! If one of your clients has a problem, complaint or concern, write it down in their presence. They’ll see you taking it seriously, and have a higher level of trust that you’ll fix the problem or address the complaint.]

Compliment them. Tell them they’ve made a good choice. When you drop the check, confess that they were a lot of fun to wait on. [Compliments work well for every situation. “Beautiful scarf – love your haircut – that tie is beautiful!” You get the idea.]

Be in medical school. Preferably at Yale. Or, be willing to lie. [OK, lying is taking it just a little too far, in my opinion. But certainly share your goals and aspirations, or what you’re doing to improve your skills and knowledge. Taking online courses? Mention that: “I’ve been learning a lot about your mom’s disease in the online course I’ve been taking – it’s quite interesting.”]

Everything else. On top of all this is the basic service; getting the order correct and on time, clearing plates, knowing the menu, etc. But research has shown that patrons are willing to forgive mistakes or long waits if the above tricks are adhered to. [Just goes to show: being a good waiter and providing great customer service have a lot in common. People will forgive a lot of mistakes if they like you and feel like you’re friends.]
So good luck. And let the earning begin! [Ditto.]

No comments: