Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Dignity through Connection - an administrator's gift

The following is a guest article written by a friend and colleague, Mark J. Cimino. Mark and his family own and operate Cimino Care, an assisted living company in California. I hope you enjoy Mark’s perspectives.

I recently observed one of our administrators conducting a tour with a prospective resident. Sometimes when we stand by and observe from a distance, we see things more clearly than we had before.

As I observed, I could see the interpersonal exchange going on. I saw connection, empathy, genuine interest and concern displayed before my very eyes.

I was awestruck. At that moment, it came to me clearer than ever before. Most of the families and residents move into a facility not because of the fancy chandeliers, bells and whistles, but because of a personal bond with the staff, a comfort level and trust with the people working inside.

Yes, we like to have a nice physical plant, but genuine connection with people trumps all other things.

I recently visited another facility (not one of mine) where the staff was so on edge you could cut the tension with a knife. No smiles, no lightness, no eye contact; sadly no connection with the residents.

I witnessed two ladies sitting on a bench with their hands folded and a melancholy look on their faces, and by nervous reaction, I asked, “Are you having fun?”

I suddenly realized that was a misplaced question.

“About as much fun as yesterday!” one quipped back with sarcasm in her eyes.

We strive for constant clinical and operational improvement even though we realize that such operational perfection often eludes us. But we can achieve a perfect connection with those we care for if we truly stay “in the moment”, with our eyes focused in dignity upon our clients and guests, and our hearts tuned to the notes of empathy and genuine caring.

Holiday gift ideas from my team to yours

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree totally. I have always felt if you keep the client's emotional, physical and financial needs in the uppermost of your mind then you will always make the right decision for your client and your company because the meeting of those needs is good for the client and therefore good for business. The client is number one in this relationship and the center of success for your company.