Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Building the Perfect Team, Part 2

We've talked about the importance of sharing your dream with your team.

Let’s look at how we can develop a dream that the entire team is a part of creating. Here are some ideas to get you going:

Finish this sentence: “I dream of working on a team where:”

You might take a minute to answer this question yourself first. What’s important to you? You might list:
  • Everyone puts forth their best efforts
  • We reach – and exceed – our company goals
  • We have extremely satisfied clients
  • We all feel like good friends
How does your team finish the same sentence? Try it – and then be open to a full, rousing discussion about how the team will work together to become the “dream team” we all want to be working with.

Ask your team to finish a couple more sentences, too, and see where that discussion leads. Here are some you might try:

I want to work for a manager who:
I want to work with coworkers who:
I enjoy my work most when:
I wish there was more: here at work.

Get the conversation going – engage your team in the journey and in reaching for the dream!

No comments: